When we had our son, date night was the last thing on my mind.
All I could think about was keeping this sweet little baby fed, changed, content, and, well…alive. And any other “spare” moment was spent sleeping. Or at least thinking about sleep.
And let’s face it — diapers and spit-up aren’t all that romantic.
Bringing back date night
Starting date night as a new parent can be a little overwhelming.
Between the date preparations, finding someone you trust to take care of your baby, the anxiety of leaving your newborn for the first time, and planning how/when you need to pump if you are breastfeeding, you may start to question if date night is even worth the effort at this stage in life.
IT IS! It is absolutely worth the effort to spend time reconnecting with your spouse — especially after having a baby.
But, date night doesn’t mean you have to leave your home. Sometimes you have to find ways to sneak in a date night between feedings or with the baby sleeping next to you.
So, I’ve put together a huge list of seasonal date night ideas with that in mind. Each season is split between date nights that allow you to stay at home with the baby monitor close by and those that get you out of the house for a bit while someone cares for that precious baby.
This post contains affiliate links which means we may receive compensation for products mentioned below. We only recommend brands we use and trust.
- Explore a corn maze
- Go for a drive to look at the beautiful foliage
- Shop for family halloween costumes
- Attend a local high school football game
- Go hiking at a local state park
- Volunteer together
- Visit a scenic overlook and watch the sunset
- Recreate your first date
Stay at Home
- Make Christmas cookies together
- Enjoy a picnic in the warmth of your living room
- Curl up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa and watch a movie on Netflix
- Have a spa/massage night
- Play video games together
- Go indoor camping
- Build a snowman
- Go for a drive once the sun has set to look at Christmas lights
- Go shopping for fun stocking stuffers for each other
- Watch a Christmas play or musical at a local theater
- Shop for care packages to give to a local shelter
- Do a progressive dinner around town
Stay at Home
- Plan a themed evening
- Workout together
- Make homemade pizzas
- Put a puzzle together
- Enjoy a candlelit dinner at your dining table
- Try cooking a new recipe together
- Assemble a family photo album from the previous year
- Put on some soft music and slow dance in your living room
- Explore a nursery and buy a few new plants for your home
- Go to a local baseball game
- Walk around a botanical garden
- Go out to dinner at a new place
- Visit the local farmers market
- Browse around a local library or bookstore
- Go to a flea market or browse around at yard sales
- Walk to the park for a picnic
Stay at Home
- Make ice cream sundaes
- Enjoy a workout together
- Setup a hammock and enjoy the sunset together
- Make homemade popsicles
- Have a squirt gun or nerf gun fight
- Enjoy an outdoor movie in the backyard
- Have a card game night on the patio
- Attend an outdoor concert
- Go for a bike ride
- Go out for ice cream
- Go swimming at a local pool or club
- Try different foods at a food truck festival
- Visit a local art show
- Go out to a movie at a local theater
- Play mini-golf
What are some of your favorite date night ideas? Be sure to let me know in the comments below!